Skip to main content

Induction

April 21, 2017       23:04

I'm finally at week 36. I'm not term, but I'm excited because I no longer have to be frightened if the baby comes. Up until this week, I was in constant fear that each contraction meant I would go into labor and have a baby that I knew didn't have proper lung development. Although he's not "fully cooked" he has baked just enough for my doctor to give me her blessing for delivery.

Everything is going great. I may not be able to get around like I'd like or carry my toddler around, but life is good. Staying home from work also did wonders. With some rest, I've been able to get a control of those crazy contractions that made it difficult to do anything. I'm not contraction-free  by any means, but the knowledge that Asher and myself will be fine is freeing. This wasn't the case 3 weeks ago when things got bad.

The only "bad" thing I could cite is the reality check I received at my last doctor's appointment. My doctor gives "the talk" with all first time moms and high risk mothers. I'm considered high risk because of having gestational diabetes. The talk was quick and the take home message was: we won't let you go pass the due date and you will get a c-section if you're not dilated at the time of induction. Interestingly, I knew this information, but hearing it was jarring. I thought about how I never dilated with Felicity until labor. Fortunately each pregnancy is different because that would predict that induction would equal c-section. I've discussed coming to grips with the possibility, but it still feels like something is being snatched away from me. I want to at least have my trial of labor before having to schedule every birth going forward. It makes every contraction now feel bittersweet. Bitter because I want my son to develop the best way possible and have a good start. Sweet because if I go into labor on my own I get my trial of labor. The smaller the baby, the more likely the probability of  VBAC success.

The thought process is so twisted, but I know there are so many mothers thinking the same at this point in their pregnancy. By the third trimester, a lot of moms nuke are just beat down. In my pregnancy group so many mothers are bringing up doing their own induction. Natural methods are preferred to ease the mind that there's no harm. Honestly, I feel for them and myself. We are on the same boat headed to the same place: insanity because the babies come when they feel like it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Final Stretch!!! Reflecting on my Goals

February 22, 2017      11:08 I'm not sure if my second pregnancy feels shorter because I've done this before, I'm super busy, or a mixture of both. I can't believe that I'm already in the third trimester. My memories of third trimester include extreme fatigue, blowing up, preggo brain, baby showers, and the ultimate climax of labor. I thought that this would be a good blog entry to go through ideals that I had during my first pregnancy and how they have changed. Eating Habits and Pregnancy Before: Eat what you can... You already don't eat as much Now: It's beyond moderation... Time to diet My views have changed mostly because I have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. It was a big bummer. I failed the 1 hour as I had my last pregnancy,  but failed the 3 hour test this pregnancy.  For the last week and for the rest of my pregnancy,  I will be controlling my glucose levels through diet control. The low carb diet is interesting because I can eat all

FATIGUE!!!

March 20, 2017        15:07 I am seriously fatigued. Fatigue is one of my least favorite symptoms of the third trimester. My issue with fatigue during pregnancy is that it's unshakable. There comes a point where no amount of coffee or sleep can quell the daily spells of exhaustion. Fortunately, everyone does not have fatigue during pregnancy. Unfortunately, the differences in other people's experiences can sometimes be alienating. My least favorite question is, "How are you feeling?" I'm happy that others are concerned, but how often can I keep up the act by smiling and saying I'm ok. I'm not ok and I don't like to be a "Debbie Downer." I answer honestly from time to time and say exactly what's happening. I just don't see how it's helpful most of the time. It's almost impossible for me to verbalize my discomfort and overall feeling that I'm not " myself." Ironically, I'm starting to forget what "feeling

Here we go again

September 28, 2016  16:26 I'm currently sitting in the waiting room of Dr. Bradley's office waiting to see my second baby for the first time.  Most people may not consider the tadpole like figure that I'm going to see a baby,  but they forget that we all came from humble beginnings. It feels as if this is the first time,  but it's not.  I know the routine. It feels so familiar to me. So many memories returned of how his place was my routine hang out every month, then every two weeks,  then every week.  The people here took care of me when I was having Felicity and I have faith they will do the same with the little ones to come. Appointments are pretty much the same. After doing the ritual pee-in-cup dance,  you get your weight taken,  get your blood pressure measured, and then see the doctor.  Most times,  the doctor measures your uterus,  addresses any questions and concerns, and shows you the baby. Today I plan to get the full special because it's the first appo