Skip to main content

Light Duty

April 2, 2017              12:02

It's been quite a week. Since the beginning of my third trimester I've become more aware that D-day is coming soon. I look forward to the birth of Asher. I look forward to the process of labor and the possibility of having the experience that was cut short a few years ago. I'm sure things will be different given the many roadblocks: gestational diabetes->starting medication-> high risk label-> earlier date of induction.  I'm still optimistic, but this week we encountered another element; premature contractions. Whether you call them Braxton Hicks or contractions without dilation, they are scary when they are early and without prompting. I've tried to grow accustomed to discomfort since the emergency room visit in my first or second trimester. However, over the last week I've become more uncomfortable and unable to move around like I would like because of cramping. On Thursday and Friday, the cramping got worse and would happen at rest. It seemed as if it was getting regular, but I wasn't sure. I called my doctor and she told me to come in for observation. I was found to be ok, but she exclaimed that I needed to "to take it easy." What exactly does that mean? Well... No lifting. No bending. No reaching. No rushing. Limit the steps. She even suggested having a door to door chauffer to work. I guess I looked skeptical, so she went further to say that it's this or bed rest. That was enough. I picked "taking it easy." Since leaving her office, I have been aware that I may do those forbidden activities more than I suspected. I have to catch myself. Unlike a week ago, I feel contractions or pain after doing those activities. My most humbling moment was getting one of those motor chairs when we went to Sam's Club. I think after about 10 minutes in the store I was feeling badly. I felt sad for a minute and then saw some girls playing on the chairs in the distance and another teenager in a cart that her parents pushed her around. My attitude changed as I saw these girls enjoy their life while I was going to let shame make mine more difficult. I got the nearest chair which was out of battery and the manager brought me over a new one. I felt liberated. I could now move freely without limping, Oooos, and Ahhhhs. It'll take some adjusting to my new restrictions, but the goal is bigger than myself: keep Asher in there as long as possible for a healthy baby and optimal birth. I also feel accepting my restrictions will help me accept the recovery of having a C-section. The most tumultuous aspect of the recovery was mental. It took time to adjust to a loss of independence. I'm not saying that I'm team C-section by any means, but I'm less fearful of letting go and accepting the possibility of getting a C-section and the recovery that goes along with it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Final Stretch!!! Reflecting on my Goals

February 22, 2017      11:08 I'm not sure if my second pregnancy feels shorter because I've done this before, I'm super busy, or a mixture of both. I can't believe that I'm already in the third trimester. My memories of third trimester include extreme fatigue, blowing up, preggo brain, baby showers, and the ultimate climax of labor. I thought that this would be a good blog entry to go through ideals that I had during my first pregnancy and how they have changed. Eating Habits and Pregnancy Before: Eat what you can... You already don't eat as much Now: It's beyond moderation... Time to diet My views have changed mostly because I have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. It was a big bummer. I failed the 1 hour as I had my last pregnancy,  but failed the 3 hour test this pregnancy.  For the last week and for the rest of my pregnancy,  I will be controlling my glucose levels through diet control. The low carb diet is interesting because I can eat all

FATIGUE!!!

March 20, 2017        15:07 I am seriously fatigued. Fatigue is one of my least favorite symptoms of the third trimester. My issue with fatigue during pregnancy is that it's unshakable. There comes a point where no amount of coffee or sleep can quell the daily spells of exhaustion. Fortunately, everyone does not have fatigue during pregnancy. Unfortunately, the differences in other people's experiences can sometimes be alienating. My least favorite question is, "How are you feeling?" I'm happy that others are concerned, but how often can I keep up the act by smiling and saying I'm ok. I'm not ok and I don't like to be a "Debbie Downer." I answer honestly from time to time and say exactly what's happening. I just don't see how it's helpful most of the time. It's almost impossible for me to verbalize my discomfort and overall feeling that I'm not " myself." Ironically, I'm starting to forget what "feeling

Here we go again

September 28, 2016  16:26 I'm currently sitting in the waiting room of Dr. Bradley's office waiting to see my second baby for the first time.  Most people may not consider the tadpole like figure that I'm going to see a baby,  but they forget that we all came from humble beginnings. It feels as if this is the first time,  but it's not.  I know the routine. It feels so familiar to me. So many memories returned of how his place was my routine hang out every month, then every two weeks,  then every week.  The people here took care of me when I was having Felicity and I have faith they will do the same with the little ones to come. Appointments are pretty much the same. After doing the ritual pee-in-cup dance,  you get your weight taken,  get your blood pressure measured, and then see the doctor.  Most times,  the doctor measures your uterus,  addresses any questions and concerns, and shows you the baby. Today I plan to get the full special because it's the first appo