Skip to main content

Letting Go

May 2, 2017          13:11

It's appointment day. Since week 35, I've had to schedule three appointments each week: non stress test with ultrasound , diabetes,  and OB check . I usually cram them on Tuesdays so that I don't have to conquer my three-floor-walk-up more times than needed .  We woke up early for our routine. While I was getting my things together, I looked over and saw my hospital bag.  I asked Arlinton if we should bring it,  but we both decided there was no need and should wait until the time of delivery.  However,  I think I had a feeling that today may be the day I'd meet little Asher.

The first appointment was the non stress test and ultrasound. Every other week, the radiologist checks the amniotic fluid and fetal movements.  Last week,  we had a little scare because the  radiologist saw that my amniotic fluids were low.  He told me to drink more water and that he would  follow the issue.  My amniotic fluids were visibly lower than last week.  I knew that the radiologist would be back. To my surprise,  he not only came back, but called my OB. The baby needed to be delivered today. The verdict is out on if low amniotic fluid is an indication to induce. In my case,  I wasn't as reluctant to fight them about it because my levels were half of what they should be.  I also have gestational diabetes and take medications; both lower the threshold for delivery. The huge elephant in the room was whether or not I'll have to get a c section. 

I was emotionally fine when I left the room,  but started to tear up as soon as  I  saw Arlinton.  I knew deep inside that a c section was more probable.  I'm not one to dilate until it's really show time.  The sadness came from my fear of surgery,  recovery,  and the possibility that c sections will interfere with our ability to have the family we both dreamed about.  Arlinton was very supportive,  gave me a hug and we walked to triage. 

Once in triage,  I was met by the same OB that delivered Felicity.  We went over the options like before; doctor to doctor. This time,  I emphasized that I trusted her gut feeling.  I wasn't dilated,  but she contemplated doing a balloon and then running pitocin.  I could see in her eyes that she did not feel strongly about it working. She cared about me and my goals and wanted the VBAC  for me.  We both wanted it,  but we also wanted the best outcome. Regardless of what could or should have happened,  I'm having a c section tonight. I will undergo surgery and see my son.  I will live through the recovery like I did before.  My friends and family have been so supportive. I can't let this hole in my birth plan deter me from acknowledging the goodness of God and the grandeur of his plans. I'm too mortal and limited to know why anything goes in the direction it goes.  I just have to have faith. So,  I sit here with this IV in my hand dreaming about my son,  libations, and high carb meals.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Final Stretch!!! Reflecting on my Goals

February 22, 2017      11:08 I'm not sure if my second pregnancy feels shorter because I've done this before, I'm super busy, or a mixture of both. I can't believe that I'm already in the third trimester. My memories of third trimester include extreme fatigue, blowing up, preggo brain, baby showers, and the ultimate climax of labor. I thought that this would be a good blog entry to go through ideals that I had during my first pregnancy and how they have changed. Eating Habits and Pregnancy Before: Eat what you can... You already don't eat as much Now: It's beyond moderation... Time to diet My views have changed mostly because I have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. It was a big bummer. I failed the 1 hour as I had my last pregnancy,  but failed the 3 hour test this pregnancy.  For the last week and for the rest of my pregnancy,  I will be controlling my glucose levels through diet control. The low carb diet is interesting because I can eat all

FATIGUE!!!

March 20, 2017        15:07 I am seriously fatigued. Fatigue is one of my least favorite symptoms of the third trimester. My issue with fatigue during pregnancy is that it's unshakable. There comes a point where no amount of coffee or sleep can quell the daily spells of exhaustion. Fortunately, everyone does not have fatigue during pregnancy. Unfortunately, the differences in other people's experiences can sometimes be alienating. My least favorite question is, "How are you feeling?" I'm happy that others are concerned, but how often can I keep up the act by smiling and saying I'm ok. I'm not ok and I don't like to be a "Debbie Downer." I answer honestly from time to time and say exactly what's happening. I just don't see how it's helpful most of the time. It's almost impossible for me to verbalize my discomfort and overall feeling that I'm not " myself." Ironically, I'm starting to forget what "feeling

Here we go again

September 28, 2016  16:26 I'm currently sitting in the waiting room of Dr. Bradley's office waiting to see my second baby for the first time.  Most people may not consider the tadpole like figure that I'm going to see a baby,  but they forget that we all came from humble beginnings. It feels as if this is the first time,  but it's not.  I know the routine. It feels so familiar to me. So many memories returned of how his place was my routine hang out every month, then every two weeks,  then every week.  The people here took care of me when I was having Felicity and I have faith they will do the same with the little ones to come. Appointments are pretty much the same. After doing the ritual pee-in-cup dance,  you get your weight taken,  get your blood pressure measured, and then see the doctor.  Most times,  the doctor measures your uterus,  addresses any questions and concerns, and shows you the baby. Today I plan to get the full special because it's the first appo